Wednesday, March 07, 2007

urban garden

A couple days ago I decided to do a little 'lawn care' around our back patio/slab. I pulled a couple pests up and one caught my attention...'hey' I thought, 'that's not a weed!' Here's what I pulled up



We had planted a few veggies and flowers in several pots in October and most of the veggies didn't make it. Here I look, and there are radishes growing through the rocks! Apparently some of the seeds blew off the patio and decided to fight this Arizona sun.



The soil was so hard and dry, the radishes were only 1/2 into the soil, but they were nice and crisp and bitter. We went to our one large planting pot that survived and dug up a couple tiny carrots that were sweet, crisp and very tasty.
I guess we have better success in neglect than care in this case! I still smirk at the sight of them popping up through the rocks.

1 comment:

chara said...

hmm.. hard to get excited about radishes..